Saturday, March 16, 2013

New Favorite Hat!


Wafflecone Hat




I tried a pattern from over at Gleeful Things! I had been wanting to try out her extra bulky yarn waffle cone hat but my local yarn store doesn't have any yarn that weight. So i was very excited when she posted this new worsted weight yarn pattern for a similar hat. Why? Because i have a Hat problem. I just can't stop making hats. It's just so much fun working in the round....

I ended up making a few alterations to the hat as i was making it.

I used: 
5mm crochet hook
worsted weight yarn (Patons Canadiana in Winter White)
     - i love this yarn. perfect for hats. very soft and snuggly

Pattern by Julie at Gleeful Things (with my slight alterations as noted):
Round 1: ch 4 (counts as 1 dc + 1 ch now and throughout). 1 dc in 4th ch from hook. ch 1. In same ch sp as before:  [1 dc, ch 1] 8 times. sl st to join. (10 dc)
Round 2: ch 4. 1 dc in same sp. ch 1. [1 dc, ch 1 twice in next dc] rep around.  sl st to join. (20 dc)
Round 3: ch 4. 1 dc, ch 1 twice in next dc. [1 dc, ch 1 in next dc. 1 dc, ch 1 twice in next dc.] rep around. sl st to join. (30 dc)
Round 4: ch 4. 1 dc, ch 1 in ea of the next 2 dc. [1 dc, ch 1 in ea of the next 2 dc.1 dc, ch 1 twice in next dc.] rep around. sl st to join. (40 dc)
Rounds 5-19 (15 rnds): ch 4. [1 dc, ch 1 in next dc] rep around. sl st to join. (40 dc)
    - here is changed this a little bit because i wanted a looser more rounded fit around my head. 
     Round 6 - ch 4. 1 dc, ch 1 in ea of the next 4 dc. [1 dc, ch 1 in ea of the next 4 dc.1 dc, ch 1 twice in next dc.] rep around. sl st to join. 
   - Continue on as original pattern indicates until Round 18. Here i ran out of yarn because i was not using a full ball of yarn. So i finished off with an invisible join and (to compensate for the lack of finishing single crochet sticthes) I folded the bottom of the hat up. 

*rnd 20: ch 1 (counts as 1 sc). 1 sc in next ch sp. [1 sc in next dc. 1 sc in next ch sp.] rep around. sl st to join. (80 sc)
rnds 21-22 (2 rnds): ch 1 (counts as 1 sc). Work in back loops only: 1 sc in ea sc. (80 sc)
Invisible join and FO*    Between * was not used by me but i wanted to show her original pattern here in its entirety
If you use this free pattern, please consider supporting Julie by purchasing a pattern from her shop.  Your support will help ensure that I’m able to continue making new patterns to share (both free & paid).


All in all I am extremely pleased with the way this pattern turned out. I had some difficulty in figuring out where exactly to place the double crochets to created the desired waffle cone effect but once mastered it was easy to repeat. For some reason wit the brim folded up the way it is the hat feels very nautical to me. But maybe I've just been indulging my penchant for striped blue and white shirts a bit too much lately.





Next project on my list....

No comments:

Post a Comment