Thursday, January 31, 2013

Curly Scarf

Today i'm going to make a crochet scarf for the first time. I definitely could have made a scarf earlier, they aren't super complicated...but i just don't wear scarves. I love them like i love hats. I have a closet full of them and only ever wear one. However, I think this is a particularly cute one and I have some yarn that I have been trying to find a project for.
As I sit down to start this project i really look at the pattern for the first time and see the words "Chain 102". I die a little inside. This is why i love working in the round (hence all the hats). The chaining itself is fine but i hate working into the chain on the way back. Bah what a pain. Oh well. Here it goes.

I used a pattern from This Crafting Life. She is amazing go visit her site!

Curly Scarf:

Hook: "I" or "J" (I used "I")
I used Patons Canadiana yarn in Dark Amethyst



Pattern:

Chain 102, turn (I chained 122 because i wanted to make it a bit longer)
R1: dc in 3rd chain from hook, and 2 dc in each chain until end.
R2: ch2, dc in same, dc in next *2dc, 1dc* until the end.
R3: ch 2, dc in each st until end.  (EDIT: Repeat R3 two more times) Finish Off.


So Simple! Love it!
Now that I've finished til the end of this pattern though i think I'm going to add at least another row. Seems a bit too skinny to me. Not tonight though my hand is cramping up. haha.

UPDATE (2/14/13):
Finished the Scarf! I ended up adding an extra 2 rows of double crochet to get the scarf to a thickness that didn't seem silly. It is still a bit of a silly scarf in general. Certainly itsn't going to keep you warm but it is also not quite fashionable enough to be purely decorative. If i were to do it again i think i would either use a lighter weight yarn or a larger hook in order to give it a lighter lacier feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment