Friday, February 1, 2013

wHale

That's whale with an emphasis on the H, a la Stewie Griffin.
I've been working on wHale for at least a month now and have finally finished him and sent him on his way. The carving is made out of basswood. Cut, chiseled,whittled, sanded, shellacked and finally waxed.



Not too shabby for my first carving.

I started carving wood because my grandfather left me his craving tools. We always had carvings from my grandpa around the house but the ones i remember most came out at christmas time. Chunky roughly cut santas, stocky reindeer, and a small wooden mouse with leather ears. I could always picture my grandpa carving these things back home in Nebraska, even though i'm not sure i ever actually saw him. Now, looking through the old worn carving book he left me, I can see where he gathered his patterns and inspiration. I know that my own style is very different but I still feel a quiet companionship in the shared pastime.

Next up... something less nautical i think.


2 comments: